Saturday, January 4, 2014

Resolutions and Goals for 2014

I’m not usually much for resolutions and goals, but my husband has just typed out his list of ten goals for the year. I came across this linky at First Grade Nest this afternoon and decided to join in the fun. (I had computer issues on the laptop I was using. I wrote this initially Dec. 30)


resolutions





Professional goal for my career: I want to have my class set up the way I envisioned it. When the school year started, the computers, furniture, and data/electricity upgrades were not ready. My plans for setting up my classes had to be modified….a lot! Twenty-five computers, two beautiful large conference tables, and two days of being relocated while the electricians were there, and the room is almost finished. Now I need to start implementing the things I’d planned. I’m still making changes as I go, but the general plan is still a good one!

 


Professional goal for my blog/TPT side job: Going along with the “finding balance” I need to get into a routine for blogging/creating. I have products almost ready to post, but I haven’t found the time to finish. Last spring I was blogging regularly, but I wasn’t sleeping much. I want to find a way to make it work in my schedule.

 


I saw a post on Facebook along the lines of “I had children and I became a bad friend.” While I can’t blame the kids entirely, I have been bad about keeping in touch. I have unplugged a bit in the last 6 months or so. While it has its perks, I feel like I’ve been a bad friend to some people I should have checked in on more often. I stayed up the other night e-mailing people I haven’t checked in on in a while. I am going to make a big effort this year to keep in touch.

 


Cleaning. Sigh. My house is a challenge. We are a family of four living in a two bedroom townhouse with no attic or garage. We are trying to de-clutter enough to clean underneath. It is getting a little better, but we are still not there yet. I am going to try to leave work early (on time that is, but early for me) once a week to work on the house before my husband and kids get home. If my work on TpT pays off, I might look into hiring someone to help clean the house a couple of times a month.

In my new role at school I spend about an hour a day organizing supplies and cleaning. I see 6 difference classes a day with 2 minutes between classes. I have much less grading and paperwork. The planning is less involved, but I spend hours and hours each week cleaning and organizing. It is never ending!

 


I used to be a real jet setter. In 2008, we traveled to Australia, Ireland twice, Houston, Boston, Minnesota, and Orlando. I haven’t left the state of Florida since January 1, 2011. (Okay, so technically I took a weekend cruise to the Bahamas last Christmas, but when you live in South Florida that is not nearly as exotic as it sounds!)

My cousin is getting married in Maryland at the end of the summer. I’ve applied to present at a conference in Houston in November. My husband is desperate to get back home to Ireland this year to see his family. I’m really hoping that we can fit in those trips!

 


My age and two kids is catching up to me. I’m going to try to watch what I eat this year. I wouldn’t call it is diet, but the candy and sweets are going to have to go!

 


I made the switch from PC to a Mac at home and (almost completely) at school. I have signed up for a sessions at FETC on using iMovie and having students create ebooks. I really can’t wait for the conference to learn how to use the tools I have in my classroom!

 


Blogging! I miss the community and interaction.

 

I want present at least two professional conferences this year. I submitted a proposal for a regional math conference already. I’ve attended a few conferences this year and have some ideas on what I could share.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there you have it! I'm going to ignore the fact that my main goal is to blog more yet it took me four days to get this posted. I am telling myself that I'll get into a routine once school starts. Fingers crossed!



































1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from the 2014 goals linky. I can relate to finding balance between home and work as well as keeping in touch with friends. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete